I believe that service is a great opportunity for professors to effectively share their disciplinary expertise and professional experiences
At the University level, I have been assigned leadership roles in the following key services:
- Leadership in Quality Assurance
- Department Chairpersonship
- Research Boards
- Program and Curriculum Development
- Laboratory Project Management and Design
- Program Reviews
- Programmatic Accreditation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Institutional Accreditation
- External Consultancies
My academic administrative appointments include the following:
- Founding Director, Center for Quality Assurance, BAU, September 2019 – August 2020
- Founding Chairperson, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 09.2013 – 08.2016
- Founding Chairperson, Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 09.2012 – 08.2013
- Program Lead, Computer Engineering Program, American University of Kuwait, 09.2009 – 08.2012
- Chairperson, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Dhofar University, Oman, 09.2007 – 08.2009
Responsibilities comprised strategic planning, developing curricula, designing programs, designing capstone courses, managing and designing laboratories, leading institutional accreditation, leading ABET programmatic accreditation, servicing on a wide-ranging of academic committees at all university levels, budgeting, recruitment, coordinating student advising, etc.
- University Quality Assurance Committee, September 2019 – Present
- University IT Steering Committee, September 2019 – Present
- University Strategy Committee, September 2019 – August 2020
- Faculty of Engineering Council, September 2019 – August 2020
- Member, University Research Board, American University of Kuwait, 10.2016 – 06.2018
- Member, College Assessment Committee, American University of Kuwait, 10.2010 – 05.2013, and 10.2015 - 08.2016
- Member, University Admission and Enrollment Management Committee, American University of Kuwait, 05.2013 – 08.2015
- Member, University Policies and Procedures Committee, American University of Kuwait, 09.2012 – 08.2013
- Chairperson, University Curriculum Committee, American University of Kuwait, 09.2011 – 08.2012
- Member, University Council, Dhofar University, 09.2007 – 08.2009
- Member, University Research Board, Dhofar University, 03.2007 – 10.2007
- University FIBAA Institutional Accreditation Committee, September 2019 – Present
- Chairperson, Institutional Accreditation Committee for Students and Student Support Services, Dhofar University, 10.2007 – 08.2009
- Member, Institutional Accreditation Steering Committee, Dhofar University, 10.2007 – 08.2009
Responsibilities included strategizing and steering the first stage of institutional accreditation by the local accrediting authority – the quality audit stage. Moreover, the tasks included developing the service strategies, plan deployments, measuring the effectiveness of services, and identifying improvements for a wide-range of student services and writing their self-study chapter. The steering work at the university level comprised alignment of subcommittee works, training faculty and staff, reviewing all criteria works, and reviewing the university-wide self-study.
- Consultant on ABET Accreditation matters with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Rafik Hariri University, Mechref, Lebanon, June 2018 – August 2019.
- Consultant on ABET Accreditation matters with the Faculty of Engineering, Beirut Arab University, Debbieh, Lebanon, March 2018 – March 2019.
- ABET Accreditation Lead and Institutional Representative, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 09.2011 – 06.2018
- Chairperson, ABET Accreditation Steering Committee, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 11.2011 – 06.2018
- Chairperson, ABET Accreditation Executive Committee, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 11.2011 – 06.2018
- Chairperson, Assessment and Curriculum Committee, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, American University of Kuwait, 02.2014 – 08.2016
- Principle Author and Writeup Lead, Computer Engineering ABET Accreditation Self-Study Report, American University of Kuwait, 09.2013 - 06.2015.
- Supervisor and/or member, standing committees, ABET accreditation assessment plan implementation: assessment and curriculum committee, data collection committee, course assessment committee, project evaluation committee, student liaison committee, student advisory board, curriculum guide committee, and industrial advisory board, American University of Kuwait, 09.2012 – 08.2016
Responsibilities comprised leading the preparations for ABET Accreditation including the development of its assessment plan, departmental structuring, plan implementation, self-study reports writeup, and coordinating the logistics of accreditation. The plan employs direct assessments to the general education and major components; with special emphasis on capstone projects. A bouquet of assessment tools support the plan, such as, course assessments by faculty; standardized tests; and exit, alumni, and employer surveys. The structure is supported by a student and industrial advisory boards.
- Administration Crisis Management, 2019
- ABET Symposium, 2018
- ABET Symposium, 2017
- Assessing Student Professional Competencies, ABET, 2016
- Creating a Culture of Assessment, ABET, 2016
- ABET Symposium, 2016
- Project Management to Create Your Self-Study & Prepare for the Visit, ABET, 2015
- ABET Symposium, 2015
- Developing & Implementing a Sustainable Assessment Plan, ABET, 2014
- ABET Symposium, 2014
- Excellence in Assessment Leadership (IDEAL), ABET, 2011
- Institutional Effectiveness, 2011
- Conducting a Self-study, 2007
- The Plan for an Omani Higher Education Quality Management System, 2007
- Computer Engineering (BS, BE), 2009 – 2020
- Systems Engineering (BS, BE), 2013 – 2016
- Electrical Engineering (BS, BE), 2012 – 2016
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (BS), 2007 – 2009
- Computer and Communications Engineering; (BS), 2007 – 2009; (MS), 2005 – 2006
- Electrical Engineering (MS), 2005 – 2006
- Computer Science (BS and MS), 2004 – 2005
- Software Engineering (BS and MS), 2004 – 2005
- Computer Graphics (BS and MS), 2004 – 2005
- Management Information Systems (BS and MS), 2004 – 2005
The development comprised the program educational objectives, student outcomes, the creation of core major courses, capstone courses, elective courses, laboratory courses, project-based learning components, standardized course learning outcomes, and their mappings to student outcome indicators at the program level.
- Digital Systems Laboratory, Beirut Arab University, 2019 – 2020
- Machines and Power Systems Laboratory, American University of Kuwait, 2013 – 2014
- High-Performance Computing Laboratory, American University of Kuwait, 2012 – 2013
- Digital Systems Laboratory, American University of Kuwait, 2009 – 2010
- Circuits and Electronics Laboratory, American University of Kuwait, 2009 – 2010
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Laboratories, Dhofar University, 2007 – 2009
Responsibilities included the preparation of specifications aligned with the curriculum, planning laboratory layouts, furniture and interior design, and synchronizing communication among purchasing, services, IT, and other departments. Supervisions included room constructions, electrical and IT installations, equipment setups, testing, and training. Other tasks included hiring of laboratory instructors and technicians and developing policies, procedures, and laboratory teaching material. Laboratories prepared: digital systems, electric circuits, electronics, computer organization and architecture, microprocessors, interfacing, embedded systems, high-performance computing, communications, instrumentation, control, data acquisition, power systems, machines, drives, renewable energy, and power electronics.
As an academician and an engineer, I have been involved in a variety of professional services. My activities comprise program evaluation, counselling, consultancies, services to international conferences and journals, workshops, invited talks, services to professional societies, and included the following:
- Program Evaluator (PEV), ABET, Engineeering Accreditation Commission (EAC), USA.
- Member of the International Evaluators and Experts Group, Turkish Higher Education Quality Council (THEQC), Turkey.
- Member of the Review Panel, National Center for Academic Accreditation and Evaluation (NCAAA), Education and Training Evaluation Commission (ETEC), Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Founding Counselor, AUK-IEEE Student Branch, American University of Kuwait, Kuwait.
- Launched the Annual Electrical and Computer Engineering Exhibition, American University of Kuwait, Kuwait.
- Launched the Electrical and Computer Engineering Seminar Series, American University of Kuwait, Kuwait.
I have been constantly serving as a reviewer and member of International Program Committees of international conferences since 2003 including the following recent conferences::
My activities with international journals include the following:
- Reviewer with IEEE Access, IEEE
- Reviewer with IEEE Transactions on Sys. Man. and Cybernetics, IEEE
- Reviewer with the International Journal of Parallel Programming, Springer
- Reviewer with the International Journal of Communication Systems, Wiley
- Reviewer with Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Elsevier
- Area Editor with the EAI Endorsed Transactions on Ambient Systems, European Alliance for Innovation
- Guest Editor with the IEEE Transactions on Education, IEEE
- Reviewer with the IEEE Transactions on Education, IEEE
- Reviewer with the European Journal of Engineering Education, Taylor & Francis
- Reviewer with the Journal of Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier
- Reviewer with the Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, IOS Press
- Reviewer with the Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, Elsevier
I have been invited to give several technical talks and seminars. The topics have been mainly in computer engineering with focus on hardware design, performance evaluation, smart cities, and engineering education.
I have carefully developed and conducted three workshops on Giving an Effective Talk, Modern Strategic Planning for Small/Medium-sized Departments, and Building Self-Confidence. The workshops have provided me with a great opportunity of communication with people from different backgrounds and disciplines.
I have developed and maintained an Internet Portfolio that includes an Academic Website (www.idamaj.net), a Facebook Education Website (www.facebook.com/iwdamaj), an Instagram site (www.instagram.com/iwdamaj), and a Twitter professional site (twitter.com/issamwd).